April 27, 2022
Dear Directors of CAPPA Member Programs:
The National Student and Thought Leadership Awards in Public Administration program, a joint initiative of the Canadian Association of Programs in Public Administration (CAPPA) and the Institute of Public Administration of Canada (IPAC), aims to recognize talent in Canadian public administration and policy programs at the regional and national levels. It highlights excellence in public administration and showcases the top talent emerging from Canadian programs each year. This year competition recognizes outstanding students from the 2021-22 academic year.
Criteria and Procedures
1. Selecting winners:
CAPPA members will solicit and judge entries (best paper, best professional report, or best graduating student, however defined) from their students, and select one winner at the undergraduate and/or graduate levels (as applicable to each department). Representatives from the IPAC regional group may be asked to help with the adjudication. Together, the students selected from each institution are the National Student Leadership Award winners.
2. Giving local recognition:
We encourage programs, departments and schools to hold recognition events for the winners. You may also want to approach your local IPAC group to provide recognition. In some cases the local regional group may have more than one university in their catchment area, and the range of winners will be broader.
3. National recognition on web sites:
Winners will be celebrated by IPAC and CAPPA on their respective websites. The names, contact information, brief bios, and synopsis of the accomplishment of the winners should be forwarded to CAPPA at the contact point noted below. The deadline for receiving these packages is May 30, 2022.
4. The 75th Annual IPAC National Conference, September 7-9, 2022 (In-Person/Hybrid):
• The winners from every program will receive an invitation to the IPAC 2022 conference. The IPAC Endowment Fund will pay the registration fees for the winners, but not travel expenses.
• All of the National Student Award winners will be asked to participate in a virtual session describing their best piece of research or analysis, prior to the IPAC 2022 conference.
• A jury will select and rank the three best presentations for the National Student Thought Leadership Awards. The top three winners will receive a cash award and will be recognized on the IPAC and CAPPA web sites.
We look forward to receiving notification of your top student by May 30, 2022.
For your School/Department’s nomination, please include:
• nominator’s name and contact information
• nominee’s name and contact information (one nominee per School/Department, please);
• a brief bio (no more than 100 words); and
• synopsis of accomplishment (i.e., top student, best, paper, project or research, contest winner, etc.)
Please forward all nominations to firstname.lastname@example.org. If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact Belle Young at email@example.com or Andrea Rounce at firstname.lastname@example.org or 1-204-891-0501.
Canadian Association of Programs in Public Administration
Chief Executive Officer
Institute of Public Administration of Canada